In 1887, Omicron was instated at USC upon the arrival of Jennie Allen
Bovard, the new bride of Marion M. Bovard (USC’s very first President).
Prior to Jennie’s arrival at USC, she was a member of the Alpha chapter
at De Pauw University and was the fifth initiate of Kappa Alpha Theta
Theta was the very first Greek organization at USC, and marked the inception of USC’s Greek program that thrives today. At the time, USC had only 200 students and Jennie Bovard carefully selected 11 fellow female students to begin Omicron.
However, after just a few years, the Omicron women decided with heavy hearts to give up their chapter’s charter (due to several factors, including the death of President Bovard and difficult economic times). In the meantime, they worked together with other Southern California Thetas to create the Los Angeles Alumnae Chapter.
In 1903, Omicron regained its charter and the women reestablished their presence on USC’s campus. At the time, Omicron had 15 members. The chapter house was located at 653 W. 28th Street. To date, Omicron has had three different houses, all at the same address on W. 28th Street. These days, the house serves over 250 women each year.